Search

How Often Should You Floss?


How Often Should You Floss


Our mouths are something we use every day, so taking good care of them should always be a top priority, especially when you take into consideration how much our oral health can affect our overall health. But, studies show that when questioned, the majority of Canadians will tell you they do not floss their teeth.


With so many Canadians' ignoring the critical step, the question begs to be answered, what happens when you don't floss? And why IS it so important?


1. Prevent Plaque & Tartar Build-Up

Brushing twice a day will go a long way to keeping your mouth healthy, but your toothbrush can't hit some of the hard-to-reach spots between your teeth. This is where food residue and bacteria can fester and cling to the surface of your teeth, creating plaque. When left untreated for too long, plaque will harden and become tartar. Tartar can trap food particles in those spaces between your teeth, making it even more tricky to keep your teeth clean, and most importantly, you can't remove tartar on your own at home - a dentist needs to use special tools to scrape it off.


2. Cavities Lead To Tooth Decay


Having a couple of cavities isn't the end of the world, but if they develop in those hard-to-reach spots, they can be more difficult to fill than in other areas. This is why flossing between your teeth is so important. If not appropriately treated, those cavities can eventually lead to tooth decay.


3. Prevent Gum Disease


Your teeth aren't the only part of you that feels the effects of your not flossing. When you let plaque and bacteria hang around your mouth, your gums will become irritated, red, sore, and inflamed. This is known as gingivitis, a form of gum disease.


If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, gum disease can actually put you at risk of premature birth and low birth weight in your vulnerable infant.


Nothing can clean between your teeth quite like flossing, and without it, you are leaving your mouth open to gingivitis - or worse.


4. Help Prevent Bad Breath


One of the most common causes of bad breath is poor oral hygiene, and flossing is an essential part of the battle against bad breath. Did you know that brushing without flossing is the equivalent of cleaning only 65% of the body? That means the other 35% is left untouched and prime for bacteria growth, which causes bad breath.


5. Reduce Bleeding Gums


Many people are hesitant to floss because it makes their gums bleed - which is actually a sign of gum disease and is all the more reason why you SHOULD floss. Flossing more frequently will remove bacteria from the gum line, and in turn, your body will no longer need to send blood cells to the area to fight infection. Ergo, the more you floss, the less blood you'll see each time.


6. Help Reduce More Severe Health Conditions

One of the most important things to remember is that your mouth health is connected to your overall health, so if your mouth isn't healthy, it can have unfortunate consequences for the rest of your body. As previously mentioned, not flossing leads to a build-up of bacteria, causing gum disease. That bacterium has a greater chance of entering your bloodstream, triggering inflammation in your arteries - leaving you at greater risk for conditions such as heart disease, stroke diabetes, and more.


What Happens When You Don't Floss? And Why Is It So Important?

Now that you have some answers to "what happens when you don't floss?" and "why is it so important?", you can ultimately decide for yourself whether to include it in your daily routine. The benefits of taking a few extra minutes each day could do wonders for your oral and overall health, however. It's important to remember that flossing is only one piece of a well-rounded oral health puzzle, and routine check-ups are vital! Book your hygiene appointment with 22nd @ Taylor Dental Care!


We cannot wait to meet you!

  

At 22nd @ Taylor Dental Care in Red Deer, we are passionate and driven to improve your physical health by treating your dentistry and oral hygiene needs. Dentistry for the whole family includes laser dentistry, orthodontics, cosmetic dentistry, sleep studies, sleep appliances, TMJ treatment, wisdom teeth removal, root canals, implants, Invisalign, and tongue ties. We are here to listen to your dental needs and provide you with options for your best dental health. We will show you the many links between the health of your mouth and your body. We have some incredible methods for making dentistry easy and comfortable. Follow us on Instagramand Facebook for tips, updates, and dental education.

Give us a call to inquire – we’re happy to answer any questions you might have!

T: 403-358-6255

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All